Sunday, January 29, 2012

Protein Bars & Easy Homemade Biscuits {Recipes}

These were shared from a family member.  I haven't tried these yet but want to as soon as I get more agave syrup!  I think my kids would love them (and I know I would!).  I don't love coconut but can easily substitute it for something else.  A little flax would be good for the body in these bars as well.  Yummy!


Raw Protein Bar
1 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup agave syrup
1 mashed banana
1/4 cup pumpkins seeds
1/4 cup of other nuts and seeds you wish
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut.
I also throw in caco nibs instead of chocolate chips and dried unsweetened cherries or dried goji berries.
I also put in a scoop of protein powder which has been a blessing if you have to eat on the run. I use a plant based organic one with no artificial sweeteners, The possibilities are endless.
Mix altogether and pat down in a 6 x 8 pan or similar brownie size pan. Then put in the freezer for one hour. I put wax paper in the bottom of the pan first. When I pull them out the freezer, I pull them out of the pan and cut into bars and wrap them in Saran wrap. You then have a ready to go protein bars.

I've made these twice since getting the recipe from a friend/family member.  The link takes you to her original recipe...the one below is with my own minor tweaks in it.


Homemade Biscuits
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2/3 tsp cream of tartar
3/4 cup softened butter
1 cup whole milk/raw milk
Mix dry ingredients.
Add in butter with you hand {easiest way!} until crumbly.
Add milk.
Mix well, add a little more flour if too sticky.
Roll out on floured surface. 
Cut with biscuit cutters.
In the bottom of a large, shallow baking pan pour a little oil and warm it in the oven.  Take the pan out and flip the biscuits on their tops then back over so the tops are lightly oil covered.
Cook on 450 for 10 - 12 min.

These are best hot but easily rewarmed!  My kids have loved them with sausage gravy and then just plain with butter.  They aren't super thick and fluffy but definitely yummy!

No comments: