Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Goal Update! {short term goals}

An update of my short term goals!

Short Term (within the next couple of months):

  • Start replacing personal & household products with gentler alternatives free of petrochemicals & other "yuckies".  ONGOING - We've replaced our deodorant, shampoos, my body wash (& the kids'), toothpaste (ours, the kids were already using flouride/dye free), and lotion.  I still have a long way to go but this weekend I did clean out the upstairs bathroom cabinets and removed excess products that weren't natural.  I'm struggled with myself but have decided to go ahead and donate the unopened ones...I can't see throwing them away when 90% of the people I know are still using them.  Baby steps...
  • Quit heating my food in plastic containers at work.  DONE - for the most part I'm successful at this.  Occasionally I miss and heat in plastic but for the most part this is going well.
  • Spend time in prayer weekly for my family's health and the decisions we are making for our life style.  STRUGGLING - shame on me!!  I'll do better!
  • Find a filtered water pitcher or tap filter for at home.  NOT COMPLETE - We've decided on a tap filter...now to just fit it into the budget!
  • Buy more organic fruits & veggiesFAIL! - Confession time...the last time we grocery shopped looking at the organic fruit didn't even cross my mind!!  ARGH!  I'll try harder!
  • Be thankful everyday for our home grown beef! CHECK! - My folks just had a new beef butchered and I'm so grateful we were blessed with some!
  • Continue persuing recipes using natural sweeteners...reintroduce refined sugar but no longer as a lifestyle. ONGOING - I've found many recipes using agave nectar as the sweetener...not so many using stevia.  However, I've had some discussions with people regarding these natural sugar substitutes and am still trying to decide if this is a lifestyle change for us or a period of time.  I definitely see a change in Natalee when she has something sugary but would like to eventually teach her how to control those moods rather than continually substituting sugar for her.  She's young..we'll see.
  • Cut out food dyesCHECK! - I'm feeling good about this one.  Our families have been great and it's not been as challenging as I thought to cut out.  Food dyes were something I was pretty conscious off prior to our "big" revolution.
  • Get a full length mirror for home & the classroom (great for teaching eye contact and self affirmation).  STILL LOOKING - I was hoping to not have to buy new but may not have a choice.
  • Introduce self talk to Natalee - "I am okay. I can handle this!"  ONGOING - I've tried this a few times and she is resistant to it.  She replies "I'm NOT okay!"  But I'll persist.
  • Stay calm when parenting Natalee (huge challenge for me). Be specific with her - don't say, "be good", say what I want her to do and not what I don't want her to do. This applies to a couple of my students, also!  ONGOING - This will always be ongoing.  I'm trying, really REALLY trying.
  • Introduce "A Rule/B Rule" concept at home and school. "A" rules are non-negotiable, parent/teacher stated & enforced rules. "B" rules are when child gets a say in decision. Develop clear "A" rules at home and in classroom.  NOT DEVELOPED - I haven't attempted this yet.  Mike needs to help with the A rules at home.
  • Be more diligent in use my Time Timer so children have a clear cut ending to a taskONGOING - I've been using it for Natalee's time outs and for almost all time outs in my classroom.  However, I need to be better about using it for activities.
  • Stop telling my children and my students not to have their feelings. (Ex: Don't tell Natalee "that doesn't hurt" when she cries when we brush hair. For a sensory child it probably does hurt and I shouldn't stomp on her feelings. Help her express herself as a replacement for crying.). Listen like Minnie Mouse - 2 big ears, 2 big eyes, 1 small mouth.  WORKING - I'm doing this, especially at home!
  • Create a calming "sleep environment" for my children.   CHECK - The children like the lava lamps we've put in, and I try to remember to go up when I get home & turn on their heater until bedtime and then turn it off so they don't get too hot.  They also listen to their Christian lullabies every night.  Strangely enough, they've switched beds & Natalee wants to sleep in the crib & Xabe in her daybed.  We'll work on transitioning Natalee back out of the crib and into her bed & Xabe into a twin bed.
  • Find a place for self calming for home and students at school. Use this when I see children (Natalee/Xabe & students) are becoming overwhelmed.  STRUGGLING - anyone have any ideas?
  • Increase fatty acids & amino acids for my children (real whole milk, butter, protein rich snacks).  ONGOING - the children are on raw milk 24/7 and we're all using real butter.  I'm much more conscious about our snacks, although we still do often have fruit which isn't very protein rich. 
  • Buy Boston Ferns (oxygen generators) for home & school. One for children's bedroom, classroom, and living area!  STILL LOOKING - looks like I'll have to order some!
  • Go to bed by 10:30 on weeknights!  CHECK! - for the most part I'm am accomplishing this one!

No comments: