Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Goal Update!

Today we replaced the children's 2% milk with not just whole milk but with real 'from the tank' whole cow's milk.  Our babysitter, Lora Jean, and her husband, Dean, are dairy farmers and have blessed us with milk for the children from their tank.  Mike was amazed at how much more milk they drank at supper tonight than they do usually (and we thought Xavier drank a lot of milk on a regular day!!).  Changing Mike & I's taste buds over from 2% will be another process... :)

Also, in the goals update, I have not used margarine in recipes or baking for almost 2 months.  Our next step will be changing over our Country Crock soft margarine to butter.  I so like having soft margarine ready for me in the tub.  Baby steps, baby steps...

I am looking for Boston Ferns and full length mirrors still.  Mike and I have also looked online at juicers and water filters but will look in the store when we go this weekend. 

I helped Natalee self talk her way through hair brushing this morning...I empathized with her hurt when we unsnarled her hair and talked about other options instead of brushing (letting it stay ratty for the birds to live in or cutting it shorter).  She is frightened of hair cuts and didn't think letting birdies live in her hair was a good idea (although funny) but the talk helped her get through the brushing much easier than me saying, "you're fine, that doesn't hurt, sit still."

My classroom store center is off to a great start!  The recycled goods are coming in and a fellow teacher has a shopping cart & cash register for us!  I'm excited about it!

I went to bed at 10 last night and am pushing my 10:30 night tonight but will be close!  I felt better this morning, having had a decent night's rest.

Progress is progress, no matter how small!

5 comments:

Breanna from glimpse said...

one thing i didn't realize - was that some people don't leave a stick of butter on the counter and use from it... it doesn't spoil! i think because of the salt but i'm really not sure! maybe this isn't what you mean? but if so, soft isn't all lost! :D GO YOU!! such HUGE steps! :D

Danielle Reynolds said...

I understand liking the soft butter. What my parents do is leave their butter dish on the counter all day that way it is soft and ready to be used. They cover the butter when it is not in use so that it will not collect dust and germs.

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Jenn! I also know the feeling of folks looking down their nose at us "health freaks", but Hey, it's a free world! Excited to see all the positive changes in Natalee's future. So glad you posted this very interesting and needful information.
Love you all, Lora Jean

Tamara said...

Would like to know your reasons behind the milk change. Everyone is always pushing skim or 1%. And why real butter?

Shonya said...

I am SO missing our fresh, raw milk! And I have always left our butter out on the counter, it's just fine. In the heat of summer it might start to go rancid after a couple days, but we always use it before that. Other than that time of high temps, it's good for a week anyway. Are you skimming your milk and making butter?

And I hear you on the snarls in the hair!! sigh