Sunday, January 15, 2012

GOALS

I said in my last post that knowledge is dangerous...because when you know better you have no excuse for not trying to do better.
It's exciting to have a positive mindset when thinking about making changes for the better but also exhausting, intimidating, and overwhelming. I tend to be a "right now" personality with a not "right now" budget. In order to not overwhelm my husband (interpreted as "him not want to kill me") or our extended families (interpreted as "them not want to disown me") I decided this has to be a gentle, affordable, step-by-step process that makes gradual changes.
To hold myself accountable and organize my thoughts I'm thinking of this in terms of "short term" (immediate) and "long term" goals.

Short Term (within the next couple of months):
  • Start replacing personal & household products with gentler alternatives free of petrochemicals & other "yuckies". This week we started with our deodorants (Mike & I) and shampoo when I placed a Vitacost order for the kids' multi-vitamin. Okay, DID YOU KNOW that your deodorant/antiperspirant has ALUMINUM in it??? When I learn junk like that I just want to scream "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" Aluminum in it's many forms is a huge no-no for ASD and SPD kiddos...their brains can't process the toxin and sends them into overload. I'm thinking if it's a no-no for kids on the spectrum it just as well be a no-no for everyone. Come on commercial manufacturers...give me a break! It's in my lotion, too. :(
  • Quit heating my food in plastic containers at work (I already knew better, just need to be held accountable).
  • Spend time in prayer weekly for my family's health and the decisions we are making for our life style.
  • Find a filtered water pitcher or tap filter for at home.
  • Buy more organic fruits & veggies (I'm bad about his - insert personality attribute #1, cheap!).
  • Be thankful everyday for our home grown beef!
  • Continue persuing recipes using natural sweeteners...reintroduce refined sugar but no longer as a lifestyle.
  • Cut out food dyes.
  • Get a full length mirror for home & the classroom (great for teaching eye contact and self affirmation).
  • Introduce self talk to Natalee - "I am okay. I can handle this!"
  • Stay calm when parenting Natalee (huge challenge for me). Be specific with her - don't say, "be good", say what I want her to do and not what I don't want her to do. This applies to a couple of my students, also!
  • Introduce "A Rule/B Rule" concept at home and school. "A" rules are non-negotiable, parent/teacher stated & enforced rules. "B" rules are when child gets a say in decision. Develop clear "A" rules at home and in classroom.
  • Be more diligent in use my Time Timer so children have a clear cut ending to a task.
  • Stop telling my children and my students not to have their feelings. (Ex: Don't tell Natalee "that doesn't hurt" when she cries when we brush hair. For a sensory child it probably does hurt and I shouldn't stomp on her feelings. Help her express herself as a replacement for crying.). Listen like Minnie Mouse - 2 big ears, 2 big eyes, 1 small mouth.
  • Create a calming "sleep environment" for my children. (After the conference I obtained some lava lamps and we're using those for calming. Natalee likes them very much.)
  • Find a place for self calming for home and students at school. Use this when I see children (Natalee/Xabe & students) are becoming overwhelmed.
  • Increase fatty acids & amino acids for my children (real whole milk, butter, protein rich snacks).
  • Buy Boston Ferns (oxygen generators) for home & school. One for children's bedroom, classroom, and living area!
  • Go to bed by 10:30 on weeknights!
Long Term Goals (within the next year):
  • Cut out -ites & -ates in foods (nitrites, nitrates, sulfites, sulfates) & MSG.
  • Reduce petrochemicals (cosmetic food additives, pesticides) & phenols (fragrances, dry erase markers, candles, etc)
  • Reduce microwave use - consider (not for certain) getting rid of (I'm giving Mike a heart attack now!).
  • Read Raising a Sensory Smart Child and Creative Answers to Misbehavior.
  • Get a juicer.
  • Try to find a rebounder (small trampoline) for school.
  • Research & consider Dr. T.'s recommendation for all children with SPD/ASD/ADHD to take AFA (super blue-green algae) from SimpleXity Health and try some (for me first, then Natalee)! Dr. T sent a 9 page email detailing AFA, which considered all my questions such as side effects from "overdose" - NONE, it's likened to eating too much broccoli or spinach; there would be no side effect except maybe a tummy ache if you ate too much broccoli.
  • Plan something monthly with my children individually that is high in quality time (no movies, etc) to fill their love tanks. AND something with my husband!
  • Set aside a weekly family night.
  • Step back and let my children & students be more independent.
  • Increase high quality centers at school (pretend shopping, more dress-up/imaginative play items, junior office area, etc).
  • Incorporate sensory rich activities into home (showering, hair & teeth brushing, toileting,) and school routines.
  • Spend time in prayer daily (bumped up from weekly above) for my family's health and the decisions we are making for our life style.
  • Go to bed by 10:00 on weeknights!
Anybody want to join me in any of this???

3 comments:

Lori said...

I am so totally ready to JOIN YOU!!! Who would of thought????? We can be the Crazy, (extended family disowning us) ladies together!!! Your goals sound great!!
* your sturdy side kick

Breanna from glimpse said...

welcome to the club! we need a name for ourselves!!!!! :) i'm THRILLED with walmarts selection of deodorant that is aluminum free! there is HOPE! just be sure it's dye free too! it WILL get less daunting. one step at a time... :D you are inspiring!!!! <3

anw said...

Jenn,
I've been making some of these changes in my own life the last few years so I'm really enjoying your posts! FYI, it's typically only "anti-perspirants" that contain aluminum so if you're looking for something different you should look for the deodorant only kind. It doesn't work quite as well so you have to get used to it, but it's worth it to me. I actually make my own deodorant and like it better than what you can buy in the store. Let me know if you're interested in the recipe!
Good luck on your journey!
amber wiewel