Sunday, April 8, 2012

Treasured Reflections!

Have I ever told you that behind every sensory smart mommy and sensory smart home is a sensory smart support group?  Mine includes our immediate and extended families and our circle of beloved friends and prayer warriors.  Treasured friends and family read our blogs and embrace our changes.  I notice because of little things - like butter on the table instead of only margarine, label reading for the benefit of my children, less sugary options for snacks and meals...so many things that make us feel loved.  I also notice for big things...like giant safety glass mirrors that have been hidden away for 20 years behind dressers. 
I have this idea that I want Mike to turn our train table into a conversion light table so that when we lift the train table boards there is a light table underneath.  Kind of like this...
and as part of that I wanted mirrors behind it so that the sensory experience was as heightened as it could possibly be.  I had made myself happy thinking that I'd eventually buy a few 8x10 sized mirrors and put them above the train table.  Until my in-laws brought over this....
A huge mirror the exact width of my train table.  How cool!?  My sister at the Crafty Cave made me a vinyl for it (Excuse the mess, our children are making memories.) and Micheal hung it up!  I LOVE it!  Not only did my in-laws have one giant mirror, they had two.  But one had quite a bit of water damage and the protective layer of sticky paper wouldn't come off.  It's actually the first one we tried to use and I was feeling discouraged until they said they had another. :)  So...they were getting ready to pitch the first one and I, in all my frugality, asked my father-in-law if he could cut the usable pieces up into 8x10 table top mirrors.  Sometimes I think he wants to sigh at me but he's a really good sport.  So he cut them up but the edges were still a little rough for me to comfortably give to children so instead of going to the work of sanding them down I edged them all in fun duck tape!  I am SO excited to use this in my little daycare/preschool for all kinds of fun things.  We can do play-doh on them, eat on them like place mats, write on them with window crayons/markers, etc.  The sensory experiences we will have with them!!!  Oh, my excitement!  It worked out perfectly because I'll have 6 little people and I have 7 tabletop mirrors.
Do you love them!?  I'd love to hear your ideas of how YOU would use these!

No comments: