Saturday, March 10, 2012

Homemade Lotion!

I have NO idea why my homemade lotion turned green!  I used high quality, organic oils...yet it is green.  Oh well!  It's nice and smooth and smells yummy (peppermint!).  The verdict will be out to see how well it moisturizes and keeps our skin soft (the kids are in the tub right now waiting for their first round of homemade slather!) but my hands (that were quite raw from a morning of working outside) feel great after 1 application. 

Here's the recipe I used and the video tutorial link (I doubled the recipe):

The Oils:
10 TBSP + 2 tsp grapeseed oil
4 TBSP extra virgin olive oil (the printable recipe says 1 T [so 2 T doubled] but in the video she says 2 T and it looks like 2 T in her bowl so that's what I did)
2 TBSP coconut oil
2 TBSP grated beeswax

Combine in a small pot and stir over low heat until beeswax is melted.  Pour into your blender and set aside to cool.


The Waters:
1 cup distilled water
2 TBSP aloe vera gel (I don't have a plant any more so mine was purchased at Everybody's Whole Foods and was the purest form I could find.)
1/2 tsp dead sea salt (I couldn't find cosmetic grade borax so I substituted after doing a little research on the Internet.)

Combine in small pot and stir over low heat until salt is dissolved.  Set aside to cool.






 (so very, very green...strange!)


The Blending:
Once the oils are cool (they'll be soft but set in the blender), take the middle part out of the blender lid and put the lid on.  Cover the hole with your hand and turn on low.  After blender has started, take your hand off the hole and slowly pour the waters into the vortex formed by the blending oils. 
Drop in:
10-12 drops Vitamin E oil (or 4 capsules pierced)
10-12 drops essential oil of choice (optional - I chose peppermint b/c it's what I had on hand.)





That's it.  I'm excited to use this batch and tweak it to my liking next time if it needs it.  I'm patiently waiting for my boughten natural deodorant to run out so I can make some of my own and put it in the old container!  And if anyone has a start from an aloe vera plant that I could have I'd love you forever!

No comments: