Thursday, March 1, 2012

Chemicals

This information was in the Nature's Sunshine March 2012 newsletter that Lora Jean sent to me.  It amazes me, makes me angry, but also encourages me in that maybe I'm on the right track in ridding our home of these chemicals!
  • Prior to the 20th century, only 1 out of 8,000 people were stricken with cancer. With the myriad of chemicals introduced since the industrial revolution, the rate of cancer has risen to 1 out of every 3 people.
  • Since WW II, we have developed more than 80,000 chemicals for use in cleaners, pesticides, plastics, hygiene products and more.
  • 80% of exposure to chemicals occurs in the home.  A 5 year study concluded that many homes have chemical levels 70 times higher than outside air.  
  • Cleaning products found in the home are 3 times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air pollution.
  • The average American home uses more chemicals than were found in a typical chemistry lab in the early 1900’s.
  • Laundry detergents contain harmful chemicals that are known to disrupt endocrine systems. They also contain synthetic fragrances that effect allergies and asthma. 
  • One third of the substances used in the fragrance industry are toxic. 
  • Glass cleaners and spot removers contain chemicals known to cause cancer and disrupt the nervous system. 
  • Antimicrobial soaps contain a pesticide that causes reproductive problems and promotes the growth of E. coli. 
  • Oven cleaners, toilet bowl cleaners and air fresheners contain extremely toxic chemicals that are neurotoxic & known to cause cancer.
I'm pleased to say that I finally switched over our kitchen to natural dishwasher detergent and regular detergent.  I've been making my own laundry soap from natural ingredients for several months now.  I am still using Spray & Wash Oxy for spots...any suggestions on what to switch to?  And I'd LOVE to make my own lotion...anyone have any good recipes to share (besides the one that involves a bottle of baby lotion...I think I want to start from scratch).  Articles like this one from Nature's Sunshine fuel me on to continue to make improvements to my home!  You want to know something about using natural ingredients in the home?...things are simpler (less bottles of cleaner, less boxes of "stuff" that we don't need to eat in the pantry, less soap choices, less beauty products, less, less, less!).  I love a simpler home!

No comments: