Monday, February 13, 2012

Natalee's First Day of Early Childhood Special Education

Today was Miss Thing's first day of ECSE preschool.  I was so nervous about the whole situation that I was almost sick the night before.  Nerves about how she would feel on the bus, what she would think of sharing "mom" with other children, how she would react to her peers, etc., had my stomach churning all weekend.  Top that with my uncertainty on whether this is for certain the best placement for my child and you'll understand why I spent much of the weekend on my knees in prayer.

Natalee was most excited about riding the school bus.  I really thought her excitement would dim in the moment and she would get anxious but her dad (who drove back out to Lora Jean's to put her on & play the daddy role) says she never waivered.  He got great pictures of her first big bus ride!


 HUGE grin peering out that window!

Natalee did quite well at school.  She had 2 small tantrums and showed some anxiety about what was going to happen next.  She seemed more than ready for lunch time and was super excited to carry her lunch bag in and empty it out, though she didn't eat much.  I packed crackers with mild cheddar cheese, an apple with peanut butter, a surprise organic 'no sugar added' juice box, and a small cookie but she only picked here and there and seemed more interested in what was happening around her.  I was proud that she didn't seem phased by the fact that the other children were all having the same food on a tray and didn't even ask for their food. 
By 1:00 dismissal time Natalee was definitely exhausted and Lora Jean reported that she crashed soon after arriving back at her house.  Overall, she did well with it all...she spoke to her new friends, participated in some of our songs and activities, and did her best to stay with the routine.  The fact of the matter is that I am mom, I'll always be mom, and even at school I'm first and foremost, mom.  I realized today how important it is for me to try super hard to be, to all of my students, some sort of mom figure because what they need most at their tender age and stage of development is a calm, loving, reassuring person who tells them everyday that they are important, kind, and smart.  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does not get any better than the big smile :)

Lauren

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of her, that smile on the bus says it all. Love that girl.:)

breanna from glimpse said...

this is simply adorable!!! way to go natalee (and mom!!!)