Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Goal Update!

I haven't fallen of the "wagon" of sensory smart living...we've been working hard at our home to be consistent with the children and are continually training in the area of obedience and desirable behavior.  We are putting sensory activities in our daily lives and working them into our routines.  It's nice to see these things become "the norm" and to see them working!

An update on my original goals that I hadn't met yet last month:
Short Term Goals:
  • Start replacing personal & household products with gentler alternatives free of petrochemicals & other "yuckies".  ONGOING but daily improving.  Every time I shop or order I replace an old product with something "healthier" or better for us.  I'm dabbling in making many of our daily use items (lotion, for example).
  • Spend time in prayer weekly for my family's health and the decisions we are making for our life style.  GETTING BETTER!
  • Find a filtered water pitcher or tap filter for at home.  NOT COMPLETE - We've decided on a tap filter...now to just fit it into the budget!
  • Buy more organic fruits & veggiesIMPROVEMENT! - I chose organic fruits last shopping trip and there are several things that we are just cutting out of our diets.
  • Get a full length mirror for home & the classroom (great for teaching eye contact and self affirmation).  HALFWAY - I have one for the classroom but still need one for home.
  • Introduce self talk to Natalee - "I am okay. I can handle this!"  ONGOING - I've tried this a few times and she is resistant to it.  She replies "I'm NOT okay!"  But I'll persist.
  • Stay calm when parenting both children. ONGOING - This will always be ongoing.  I'm trying, really REALLY trying.  I'm also trying hard at school.
  • Introduce "A Rule/B Rule" concept at home and school. "A" rules are non-negotiable, parent/teacher stated & enforced rules. "B" rules are when child gets a say in decision. Develop clear "A" rules at home and in classroom.  NOT DEVELOPED - I had forgotten about these...I'm glad to be reminded so we can get on this!
  • Be more diligent in use my Time Timer so children have a clear cut ending to a taskCHECK - Working well at home and at school.
  • Stop telling my children and my students not to have their feelings. (Ex: Don't tell Natalee "that doesn't hurt" when she cries when we brush hair. For a sensory child it probably does hurt and I shouldn't stomp on her feelings. Help her express herself as a replacement for crying.). Listen like Minnie Mouse - 2 big ears, 2 big eyes, 1 small mouth.  CHECK - Am very conscious of this.
  • Find a place for self calming for home and students at school. Use this when I see children (Natalee/Xabe & students) are becoming overwhelmed.  STILL STRUGGLING - anyone have any ideas?
  • Increase fatty acids & amino acids for my children (real whole milk, butter, protein rich snacks).  CHECK - I feel good about this.  There are no margarine sticks in my home and we've made lots of other improvements! :)
  • Buy Boston Ferns (oxygen generators) for home & school. One for children's bedroom, classroom, and living area!  STILL LOOKING - looks like I'll have to order some!
Long Term Goals (within the next year):

  • Cut out -ites & -ates in foods (nitrites, nitrates, sulfites, sulfates) & MSG.  HALFWAY - MSG is pretty much gone...working on ites and ates.
  • Reduce petrochemicals (cosmetic food additives, pesticides) & phenols (fragrances, dry erase markers, candles, etc).  HALFWAY - food dyes are gone, dry erase markers gone (using dry erase crayons), working on fragrances and candles.
  • Reduce microwave use - consider (not for certain) getting rid of (I'm giving Mike a heart attack now!).  IMPROVING - using it much, much less!
  • Read Raising a Sensory Smart Child and Creative Answers to MisbehaviorHALFWAY - Continually reading Raising a Sensory Smart Child but finished the other book.
  • Get a juicer.  NOT YET - Xavier really likes "juiced" drinks and will drink the Naked brand green machine juice with lots of good fruits & veggies in it including cholera.
  • Try to find a rebounder (small trampoline) for school.  NOT YET
  • Research & consider Dr. T.'s recommendation for all children with SPD/ASD/ADHD to take AFA (super blue-green algae) from SimpleXity Health and try some (for me first, then Natalee)! Dr. T sent a 9 page email detailing AFA, which considered all my questions such as side effects from "overdose" - NONE, it's likened to eating too much broccoli or spinach; there would be no side effect except maybe a tummy ache if you ate too much broccoli.  NOT YET - but not dismissed.
  • Plan something monthly with my children individually that is high in quality time (no movies, etc) to fill their love tanks. AND something with my husband!  CHECK!  Natalee accompanied me grocery shopping and chose items for her lunches, Xavier and I went to dinner and for new sheets for his bed, Mike & I went for supper - all on separate nights!  (I was in high demand.)
  • Set aside a weekly family night.  ONGOING - Mike and I are "turned off" (no computer, TV, etc.) until after the kids go to bed, so unless we have church or a meeting every night is family night!
  • Step back and let my children & students be more independent.  ONGOING! but IMPROVING! - messes are what children are all about and I'm embracing this lifestyle. 
  • Increase high quality centers at school (pretend shopping, more dress-up/imaginative play items, junior office area, etc).  CHECK - always thinking and open to ideas for new centers.
  • Spend time in prayer daily (bumped up from weekly above) for my family's health and the decisions we are making for our life style. WORKING ON IT.
  • Go to bed by 10:00 on weeknights!  SOME NIGHTS I DO ACTUALLY MAKE IT BY 10...I'm much more conscious about bedtime for myself.

No comments: