Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dough - Rolling in the Memories!

This brings me back to my childhood:

 (baby boy is teething and drooling...hence the chapped chin!)


Never do I remember a time when my mother made biscuits that she didn't give me a little dough and let me make some, too.  As a mother now, I realize what a sacrifice of self it is to give your children these opportunities.  It's another mess to clean (or 2 or 3 - floor, counter, hands), they are a little bit in my 'workspace' here...etc, etc.
What I didn't realize until I became a mother, however, is what a sensory experience my own mom was giving me.  A chance to work the dough, use the heavy rolling pin, sift through the flour...so much input taken from one simple activity.  And when you think of it - it's not cumbersome really at all.  Look at that mess...I made that.  Look at their clothes...they'll wash!  Look at my workspace...I can go somewhere else.  Look at their faces...pure thrill at being included in such a "grown-up" activity.  Thanks, mom, for teaching me right!

No comments: