Thursday, August 23, 2012

Spur of the Moment Sensory Table

Some times things just happen.  This morning was a fine example.  I have a lovely sensory table on my porch that I haven't opened in a week because it was full of moon sand and moon sand is the DEVIL. (Oh sure, the kids love it but you have to hose them down to get it off and you still find it everywhere weeks later...HORRID!) So this morning I dumped the beautiful moon sand, opened up my pantry and went hunting for some fine and fun sensory play!  Five minutes later I had a mix of 3 different kinds of pasta, including naturally colored tri-color rotini (fun!).  I got the $1 set of measuring cups from the children's play kitchen area, ran downstairs and grabbed some clean recycled plastic jars with lids, and sat outside on the porch with the children while they scooped, jumped, felt, and played for 45 minutes!  The fun would have been doubled if the bin would have been fuller with more pasta, but as it was it was a terrifically fun, spur of the moment activity.  We opened the table back up a couple hours later when some other friends stopped by to play!  
I am determined to put planned sensory bins into my weekly/monthly lesson plans as I think sensory play is super important for the ages of children I have!  Pretty soon, baby R (who was napping during play this morning) will be strong enough to stand up to this table and get messy with everyone else!!



No comments: