Monday, March 18, 2013

Just Do the Next Thing

Ah, MIA for almost five months now.  Shame on me.  I love re-reading our blog and seeing what we've been up to but life got so busy that blogging had to take a back seat. 

I went to a mom's homeschool meeting last week and one of the veteran homeschool mom's gave a devotion in which she basically said, "when life it overwhelming you don't look at all the things you need to do and let yourself get pressed down...just do the next thing.  Look at the immediate, the right now, and do that...then after you do that then just do the next thing."

Let me tell you folks, there have been some overwhelming moments here at the Joyful Jamboree...caring for 5-6 children under age 4 is a big job.  There's no nurse, no custodian, no aide, no principal, and no cook.  I'm a one mom act.  This job has been so very rewarding...but it's been big.  Bigger than me sometimes.  I've gotten overwhelmed.  I've looked at the toys on the floor, the school that needs taught, and the 6 little personalities, and thought "I'm not cut out for this."  And then I remembered that it's more about teachable moments than table work...more about making and fostering relationships than keeping the floor clean. 

So instead of just getting school work out (which they do love, by the way), I've spent lots of time on the floor...I've had tea parties, fed doll babies, and colored pictures.  We've played games, worked on heart issues, and loved on one another.  Together we are all learning how to be Jesus to each other.  And when I get overwhelmed I put on my tunnel vision and I just do the next thing.  The last week or two my next "thing" has involved cleaning diarrhea out of my four year olds unders when she didn't make it to the potty, washing the bedding of my youngest son for more than one morning in a row when he peed the bed, praying and praying instead of worrying over certain circumstances, wiping the potty down numerous times, emptying the dishwasher, folding one load of laundry at a time, teaching lessons on letters and calendar and sharing and loving, and, and, and.....
This list could go on forever.

And so today, fellow moms, teachers, nurses, wives, technology directors...whatever your 'job', I encourage you to not get overwhelmed seeing ALL that needs done in the day but instead to just hop up and do the next thing.  Once you get it done then do the next one...and in this way you'll see your burdens become more bearable and hopefully almost enjoyable as you shorten your to-do list.  Here's to a great Monday! 

No comments: